There are many different factors in maintaining a healthy lifestyle for yourself and your family. Along with eating healthy and getting enough rest, children should be participating in plenty of physical activity. Though most people likely relate physical activity to going to the gym or going for a five-mile run, being physically active can be as simple as throwing a baseball or playing a game of tag. There are a variety of activities that encourage the three elements of fitness – endurance, strength, and flexibility.
Children who are active and take part in activities that encourage the three elements of fitness will see many different benefits. Research shows that a child that is physically active is more likely to sleep better, which is also important to a child’s health, and will also have a healthier outlook on life.
Other benefits of physical activity include:
- Controls weight and reduces risk of obesity
- Strengthens muscles and bones
- Improves energy levels
- Strengthens the lungs
- Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol levels
At home, families can also ensure their children are getting enough physical fitness by creating a routine that includes fun physical activities. Families can encourage simple ways to incorporate being active into their family’s everyday routine by taking the stairs instead of an elevator or parking farther away from the entrance of a store.
Here are 5 more ways you can help get your family more active:
- Fit in Fitness – Squeeze in a few minutes of exercise even while your children are relaxing and watching TV by doing small activities during commercial breaks.
- Walks/Hikes – Add a pre- or post-walk to your daily routine. In the summer, this will ensure the temperature (hopefully) has cooled down a bit. Mix things up every now and then and go on a hike somewhere new or add a scavenger hunt game to the mix.
- Yoga – Yoga is a great way for children to promote a healthy lifestyle and learn how to remain peaceful and relaxed.
- Sports Night – Host a sports night at your house with your friends and neighbors or just your immediate family. You can have different games each time or use them to practice a sport your child is currently showing interest in.
- Dance Party! – You can never go wrong with throwing on some music and having a dance party! The best part? You can have a dance party anywhere!
What ways do your family stay physically active and healthy?