Play dates are a great way for children to spend time with their friends or have the opportunity to socialize and make new friends. During the cold weather months, it is especially helpful for families so their children can burn off a bit of energy or fight off winter boredom! And did we mention how much fun they can be for adults, too? Play dates with other families are a great opportunity to get out of the house or host a get together and enjoy some time with other adults.
There are so many great ideas for play date activities – whether you want to stay at home or venture out.
Out & About
- Movies – Is there a new children’s movie that came out that your little ones just can’t wait to see? The good news is, usually those movies are very cute and enjoyable for adults, too. Take your child and their friend or invite a family to join yours and enjoy a few laughs over popcorn!
- Indoor Play Gyms – Indoor Play Gyms are a fantastic way for your children to socialize with other children and burn off some of that energy they have built up from having to stay indoors due to the cold weather! While the children are playing with each other, it also offers the adults some quality time together.
- Bowling – This activity can be great just as a family, with another family, or a whole group of people! Parents can even have fun too with a little friendly competition amongst each other.
- Lunch – We do our best to make sure our children are eating healthy, but every now and then it’s okay to indulge! Going out to eat at a restaurant can be such a special treat for a child – especially if it is their favorite place and they are with their friends. The best part of this play date idea? No dishes!
Stay at Home
- Movies – Who says you have to go out to the movies to have a good time? Transform your living room or play room into your own personal movie theater – and don’t forget the popcorn and treats!
- Arts and Crafts – From painting, coloring and drawing to creating presents for family members and friends, the options for an arts and crafts play date are endless! For the older children, you can incorporate reading and writing in their arts and crafts projects while still making sure everyone is having fun.
- Cooking – Things may get messy, but get the children involved and head into the kitchen for some cooking fun! Create some special treats by baking and decorating cookies or enjoy homemade pizzas and have the children help make the dough and put on the different toppings they want.
- Pretend – Let those imaginations run free! There are so many different scenarios for this fun indoor activity that you can just let the children decide for themselves what they would like to do!
Don’t let the cold weather keep your family from having a good time and interacting with other families! For more great indoor play date ideas, follow us on Pinterest!