Whether you’re making a snack or cooking a meal, having your children help prepare with you is a great opportunity to not only talk about nutrition and help establish healthy eating habits, it’s a fun activity to enjoy together as a family. While you’re preparing a meal or snack, find age-appropriate tasks and allow your children to help out where they can. This will not only provide them with a sense of accomplishment, but they may be more open to trying new foods that they’ve helped to make!
Here two fun, family-friendly recipes families can try right at home:
Bread in a Bag
What You’ll Need:
1-gallon sized resealable plastic bag, (3) cups of flour, (1/4) cup of sugar, 1 packet of yeast (rapid rise or regular), (1) cup of warm water, (1/4) cup of melted butter, (1) teaspoon of salt (this can be to taste)
- Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, and yeast packet in a bowl. Pour into a resealable (Ziplock style) bag.
- Add warm water. Seal bag, pressing out air.
- Begin shaking and mixing the bag by hand
- Set bag to rest for 10 minutes (proofing)
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup of flour with salt. Pour into bag along with melted butter.
- Seal bag again, pressing out air. Shake and mix again.
- Open bag and add in last cup of flour.
- Seal bag, and mix for final time.
- Pull out dough and place on a floured surface.
- With floured hands, knead dough for 5-10 minutes
- Place dough in a greased loaf pan.
- Lay towel over the loaf pan and set it in a warm spot in your house. Allow the dough 30-45 minutes to rise
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes
What You’ll Need:
Your favorite pancake batter, toppings such as cut up fruit, nuts, sprinkles, chocolate chips, etc., mini muffin pan, non-stick spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Prepare your pancake batter and fill each muffin tin a little over half full.
- Here’s the fun part: Get the kids involved by adding their favorite toppings. Use whatever you have on hand in the pantry or fridge. Ideas include strawberries, blueberries, sprinkles, chocolate, and bananas.
- Bake in oven until the tops spring back, about 15-20 minutes.
Share your family’s favorite recipes in the comments below!