Play dates are a great way for children to spend time with their friends or have the opportunity to socialize and make new friends. During the cold weather months, it is especially helpful for families, so their children can still take advantage of the benefits of play and can burn off a bit of energy or fight off winter boredom! And did we mention how much fun they can be for adults, too? Play dates with other families are a great opportunity to get out of the house or host a get together and enjoy some time with other adults. Hosting group playdates can also be beneficial to allow neighbors to get to know one another. Whether you play outside or inside, there are plenty of great activities for the children to enjoy!
If the season has been mild, or the weather isn’t too cold, get outdoors and enjoy! Even the snow can provide a ton of fun activities!
- Snowman building and decorating contest
- Paint pictures in the snow using paint in spray bottles
- Build a snow fort
- Go sledding
- Make a snow maze (perfect way to turn shoveling the driveway and sidewalks in to a fun game!)
- Use the snow in a sensory table
- Go on a hike
- Play “I Spy”, looking for different leaves, rocks, or animal prints if it recently snowed
- Go ice skating
Indoor Activities (at home or local businesses)
If the weather doesn’t allow you to enjoy some fun outside, there are plenty of activities to keep the fun going!
- Break out the arts and crafts and let the kids create
- Have a dance party
- Build a fort
- Go to the movies
- Play at an indoor gym for kids
- Visit a museum
- Go to the library and discover new books
- Cook a special meal together or go out to a fun restaurant
- Play cards or board games together
Don’t let the cold weather keep your family from having a good time and interacting with other families! For more great play date ideas, follow us on Pinterest!