Even though it may seem odd to be talking about summer camp in the midst of winter, it is never too early to start thinking about enrolling your child into a high-quality summer camp program. If you went as a child or already have had a child in summer camp, then you understand why so many families love it. But for those families who are new to the experience, you may not realize what all the benefits of attending are and why so many families are committed to enrolling their children in camp.
In addition to providing parents with a childcare option over the summer months, camps can help children with both short-term and long-term development. When your child attends summer camp, they learn how to work with others, build meaningful relationships, accept guidance and develop decision-making skills. All of these life skills nurture independence and confidence, creating a foundation that will serve them and that they’ll stand and grow from for the rest of their life.
Among the benefits of summer camp experiences for children are:
- Spend their day being physically active – As children spend so much time these days inside and mostly sitting down, camp provides a wonderful opportunity to move. Running, swimming, jumping, hiking, and climbing are great for your child’s physical development.
- Have free time for unstructured play – Free from the overly-structured, overly-scheduled routines of home and school, life at camp gives children much needed free time to just play. Camp is a slice of carefree living where children can relax, laugh, and be silly all-day long. Play is a great way to learn for children.
- Learn social skills and build friendships – Coming to camp means joining a close-knit community where everyone must agree to cooperate and respect each other. When they live in a cabin with others, children share chores, resolve disagreements, and see firsthand the importance of sincere communication. Camp builds teamwork. This environment also encourages children to relax and make friends easily. As all the fun at camp draws everyone together, camp creates friendships.
- Develops life-long skills and boosts self-confidence – Children build self-confidence and self-esteem with non-competitive activities and diverse opportunities to succeed. Camp teaches children that they can succeed and provides the right instruction, equipment, and facilities for children to enhance their sports abilities, artistic talents, and adventure skills. Camps expand children’s abilities.
- Unplug and reconnect with nature – Camps provide children with a break from TV, cell phones, and the Internet and encourages them rediscover their creativity. Camp provides access to outdoor activities that enhance children’s perception of the outside world.
At Educational Playcare, our campers are able to explore their individual interests at their own pace while experiencing a pure camp experience that is as memorable, diverse and rewarding as we remember ours to be. Building friendships, developing a love of learning and having fun are the important values we emphasize, and with weekly field trips and exciting activities, our campers have the time of their lives!
For more information about our summer camp programs, visit our website.