Every parent has heard those two dreaded words that every child mutters: “I’m Bored!” Even a child who is quite excited about the end of the school year will might not be able to make it through the summer break without saying that phrase at least once. So what can parents do to keep their children stimulated and entertained over the summer months?
We’ve got a few ideas…
There are plenty of activities you can do once the initial fun phase of summer wears off. Here is just a brief list of ideas to help keep the summer doldrums from setting in:
- Plant a mobile garden – maybe in a wheelbarrow or other container that can be moved around. Plant vegetables, flowers, or even start an herb garden that your children can be responsible for.
- Draw in butterflies by planting wildflowers around your lawn. Not only will it beautify your landscaping, it will also decrease the need for mowing.
- Have a picnic with your child’s favorite teddy bear or doll. This can be something as simple as fruit and juice, or tea and cookies. Plan to make this a weekly event – and even play dress up for a “formal” lunch!
- Kids love bubbles! Adults love bubbles! There’s just something magical about them that no one can explain so take a trip to the dollar store and pick up a large container and some wands that make some really unique bubble shapes. Spend a late afternoon/early evening blowing bubbles and chasing them with your kids.
- Don’t forget your local library. There are always reading programs in the summer and other special programs that you can involve your children with.
- Build a treasure box with your child. Find an old shoe box or other suitable container and let them decorate with crayons, paper cutouts and other craft items and then they can fill up their box with the “treasures” they find.
You can do a lot of things that keep your kids entertained without spending a ton of money in the process. Try some of these activities or add your own ideas to the list in the comments below!