Every family has experienced this at one time or another – lots of passion and spice in your relationship until the children come along. Somewhere along the way those times you used to spend alone with just each other are replaced with trying to catch up on sleep because of a baby, children crawling into bed with you in the middle of the night, or jam-packed schedules.
We understand that some days by the time you put the children to bed, there’s barely enough energy left to talk about your day, let alone keep the chemistry alive between the two of you. That’s why it is so important for you and your spouse to spend time together, enjoying each other’s company outside of your other responsibilities as employee, homeowner or “mom” and “dad”.
One of the best ways to keep the romance alive? Call up a family member, friend or babysitter to take care of the little ones and go enjoy some time together without worrying about all of your other responsibilities!
Try any of these “Parent-Only” date ideas:
- Make reservations at your favorite restaurant, or try the new place in town you’ve been meaning to try for some time now. This is the perfect opportunity to try a place that may be a little fancier than a place you’d typically want to go as a family.
- Head off to a movie and enjoy a big bucket of popcorn or candy knowing you can have it all to yourself! If you live near or are willing to travel to drive in, most usually show two movies per entry, so it’s a great way to see something both of you have interest in.
- Since your letting go of all of your responsibilities for a while, why not treat yourselves to a couple’s massage? Pair it with dinner afterwards for a great evening of relaxation and laughs.
- Use this time to try something new as a couple. This is a great opportunity to even come up with a bucket list of things you’d like to try together and set a goal to accomplish one a month or more.
- Keep things simple and stay home and just enjoy your home together as a couple. Cook a nice meal, enjoy it together at the dinner table and curl up together on the couch watching a new movie or binge watching the latest TV hit.
- Enjoy DIY projects? Take on a house project that is easier to complete when there aren’t little ones around. Working on and accomplishing a house project together can be very rewarding!
We know finding time to have a day or an evening to yourselves can be tricky with busy schedules, so be sure to stay present and keep the romance alive by showing your spouse how much they mean to you on a daily basis. Think of small gestures, such as leaving them a note to see when they wake up, putting aside the small chores so you can spend a few extra minutes together, or even just give them a simple compliment.
What are your favorite date night (or day!) ideas?