Now that summer has officially joined us, we know families are excited to start taking part in all the fun that the season brings. Some families may be going on vacations, children may be going to summer camp, but some families may be looking for some fun ideas to do outside of their everyday summer activities.
Here are some fun, kid-friendly ideas families can do any time this summer:
- Go camping: This can be a fun summer tradition your family does each year – and the best part? You don’t even need to leave your town to do it! Of course, if you prefer, you can absolutely head out of town and go on a true camping trip, but you can always pitch a tent in your backyard and have your own little camping adventure right at home.
- Cool off by the water: There are so many ways to cool down during the hot days of summer. You can head out to the beach, a water park or just simply enjoy a pool, sprinkler or water table right in your own yard. This is a great opportunity for families to help get children used to the water, or even start practicing their swimming.
- Start a garden: This is another activity that can become a yearly tradition for you and your family. Planting color flowers or fruits and vegetables can be something the family can do together. Older children can be given tasks to help take care of the garden throughout the week which will help them gain a sense of pride and responsibility, while younger children can help plant (or play in the dirt!), water the garden, and pick flowers or fruits and vegetables. If you do plant a fruit or vegetable garden, think of all the wonderful meals you can make together as a family.
- Cool off indoors: If it’s an extremely hot day, and outside activities really aren’t the best bet, head to your local library to explore new books your children could read, or head to a museum or Science Center to explore. For younger children, you can visit an indoor play gym so they can burn off a little bit of their energy!
- Host a play date: Play dates are a great way for children to spend time with their friends or have the opportunity to socialize and make new friends. During the summer months, there are endless activities to choose from! And did we mention how much fun they can be for adults, too? Play dates with other families are a great opportunity to get out of the house or host a get together and enjoy some time with other adults.
What are some of your family’s favorite activities to do during the summer?