Life is an unpredictable ride, but when you add children and their schedules to the mix, it becomes even more hectic. It’s no wonder then that as parents we sometimes feel that there is never enough time in the day to get everything done or that we’re too busy to have a little fun and really enjoy our time as a family. At Educational Playcare, we understand the importance of fun, which is why it is one of our Core Values. While it’s impossible to completely avoid chaos, with a few tips like the ones below, you can begin to make the most of your time and to make sure there is plenty of time for family fun.
- Pay close attention to how you are spending your time. Most of us spend too much time trying to get things done immediately that can either wait or really don’t need to be done at all.
- The key to getting and staying organized is all about setting priorities and keeping them. Schedule time to complete the more important tasks first and let the rest carry over until you have more time.
- Every parent has to master the art of multitasking. Use downtime like naps, solo errands, or while the kids are at school to get jobs done that are difficult to focus on when caring for your children.
- Think ahead and be prepared, especially if you have an infant. For example: keep a packed diaper bag full of the essentials like diapers, wipes, and toys in the car at all times to avoid having to carry extra baggage when you leave home or in case you forget yours on the kitchen table!
- Stay organized. Baskets are a great way to store toys, video games, and books in your children’s playroom or bedroom.
- Prepare for meals and snacks ahead of time. When you’re making dinner, double or triple the recipe and freeze the extras for future meals. You’d be surprised just how much time this alone will save you! It is also helpful if you plan what you are going to make ahead of time and make one trip to the grocery store instead of having to go multiple times throughout the week after work.
These are just a few tips that can help parents to lead less chaotic lives, and spend more time on the really important things, like spending time with our kids! What time saving tips would you offer to families?