Quack Pack Program
We used to bring in outside providers to give lessons in music and fitness to those children whose families enrolled them. However, several years ago, we said, “Enough is enough! These programs should be for everyone, not just for those who can afford it!”
So we started our Quack Pack Program, where every child is given the chance to take part!
Our Quack Pack Program includes: Music, Fitness and Yoga, and there is no fee for participation because we believe these activities are integral to a high-quality early childhood curriculum. Each center has a trained Quack Pack teacher who provides weekly instruction to each age group. The Program is overseen by our Director of Quack Pack, Jessica Skovron-Rasheed.
Research shows that exposure to music can improve children’s ability to learn. Music and movement instruction has been shown to improve children’s memory, cognitive development, learning skills and expressive ability. ABC Music & Me is an award-winning music curriculum, created by Kindermusik International, the world’s most trusted brand in musical learning for over 30 years. It offers a fun, active, engaging multi-sensory experience for children. This program is designed specifically for young learners and it:
- Integrates physical, cognitive, social and emotional learning domains for a whole-child approach to learning.
- Uses a multi-sensory approach to teach early music concepts such as loud and quiet or high and low.
- Promotes group learning, practicing social skills such as turn-taking and cooperation.
- Introduces young musicians to composers, songs, and styles from a variety of genres, such as classical, jazz and folk.
Each week, children receive a 15-30 minute lesson filled with music, stories and movement. You will receive monthly newsletters describing each session. Photos of your child participating in Music will be sent to your email account through our daily reporting app!
Our Fitness classes offer your child many different activities, ranging from traditional sports such as football and volleyball, to imaginative dramatic play activities using storytelling and props based on the EPiC Curriculum themes. Not only do children have a multi-sensory experience, they also enjoy positive social interactions with peers by taking turns, working with a partner and laughing together!
Each week, your child will receive 15-30 minute session. Your monthly newsletter will describe each activity. Photos of your child participating in Fitness will be sent to your email account through our daily reporting app!
We believe that physical fitness is a vital component to a quality early childhood program. To promote this, we provide Yoga instruction for all age groups. Many people think yoga is only for adults but the benefits of yoga can be shared with children as well, enabling them to enjoy life to the fullest by promoting a healthy and active lifestyle from an early age.
Our infant and toddler programs use Itsy Bitsy Yoga by Helen Garabedian. Yoga can help babies up to two years of age:
- Sleep better
- Stay healthier with a stronger immune system
- Get relief from gas pains and colic
- Receive neuromuscular stimulation
- Digest food better
- Learn to relax
Our yoga program for two-year-olds and preschool-aged children is based on The ABCs of Yoga for Kids written by Teresa Anne Power. This book is a gentle introduction to simple yoga postures for children. Each class is designed for the age being taught and will:
- Use the alphabet, rhyming vignettes, and fun illustrations to promote language development
- Incorporate poses that delightfully promote flexibility and coordination
- Encourage children to incorporate healthy activity into their daily lives
Yoga offers many benefits, including:
- Enhancing body awareness. Poses that encourage balancing, strengthening, twisting and inverting have the ability to teach children about the capabilities of their bodies.
- Sparking creativity. When children are allowed the opportunity to make up their own yoga poses, it inspires them to be free, creative, and self-expressive.
- Cultivating a peaceful and relaxed state of body and mind. Yoga classes conclude with a quiet time, called the “Do Nothing Pose.” Even if just for a minute or two, children can learn to understand the value of this quiet, peaceful stillness.
- Increasing self-esteem. When a child displays great strength, focus, and flexibility in yoga, it does wonders for their confidence.
- Maintaining flexibility and strengthens growing bodies. Strength and flexibility allow for fewer and less-severe injuries, especially when kids are engaged in playground activities and sports.
- Teaching discipline and responsibility. When children learn the benefit of a committed practice, it ripples out into their everyday life activities, relationships, and responsibilities.
- Encouraging positive social interactions. It inspires children to be kind, patient and accepting of themselves and of their peers.
- Providing tools for stress management. Practicing yoga provides kids an immediate outlet to reduce stress in a safe and nurturing environment. Breathing exercises slow down the heart rate and relaxation techniques are powerful sources for calming the mind and the body.
- Teaching present moment awareness. When our mind is thinking about the past or future, we are missing the now. When children are engaged and focused while following a yoga lesson, they are in the present moment.
- Enhancing concentration. It allows children to learn self-control and increases their focus and awareness. These skills are essential in most learning environments.
Yoga is not a destination; rather it is a journey, ideally a fun and exciting one. We think you’ll agree that our Yoga sessions are a fun and exciting way to get children moving and having fun!
Each week, your child will receive 15-30 minute session filled with breathing and posing exercises. You will receive monthly newsletters describing each experience. Photos of your child participating in Yoga will be sent to your email account through our daily reporting app!
Any concern about a child care center we had has become a distant memory thanks to EPC.
My daughter loves go to EPC every day! It’s a great feeling knowing that she is being taken care of.
EPC is an amazing child care center! The teachers and directors are so compassionate and truly care.
At EPC, our son is free to explore his interests in a supportive, open and beautiful space.